Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Tuesday 7 June 2016

Getting Stitchy with Sashiko; a new-to-me craft


When this blog post popped up in my Bloglovin feed I was instantly captivated by the beautiful Japanese embroidery technique of Sashiko.  Chris of Made By Chrissie D talks about her love of Sashiko in her post and shows pictures of her gorgeous work in progress.  



Sashiko is a Japanese embroidery technique which uses small running stitches as decorative reinforcement on fabric. Sashiko means 'little stabs' and I love how this technique uses the humble running stitch to create such beauty.

As I was just about to head of on holiday to Cornwall I thought it would be a perfect time to give Sashiko a go.  I found all I needed to get me started at the amazing online store,  Cloud Craft.  


I ordered this Sashiko Sampler that has pre printed lines on a navy cotton fabric.  The printed design shows you exactly where to stitch, so it is really very easy.  I also ordered some Sashiko thread and needles from Cloud Craft and was so impressed with the super speedy delivery as they were delivered the very next day after I ordered!



I'm sorry to all those who had rubbish half term weather in the UK but we had amazing warm and sunny weather in Cornwall.  It was blissful sitting on my bed overlooking the tiny cove of Portmellon and stitching my Sashiko.  I watched a little video of how to create the Sashiko stitch; it's a sort of rocking motion where you are gathering a run of stitches on your needle before you actually pull the thread through.  Even though I had the pre printed lines my stitches were sometimes a bit wonky but I decided just to keep at it rather than get in a tizz about being perfect.  


I haven't finished the project yet but I thought I would like a bit more instruction from an expert.  Susan Briscoe is the Goddess of all things Sashiko here in the UK and so I have ordered her book,Simple Sashiko. I can't wait to get hold of it. You can also find video tutorials made by Susan at Stitch Craft Create.

Image taken from Pinterest

I love all the traditional Sashiko designs and was initially drawn to the white thread on navy fabric look but have since discovered the gorgeousness of this variegated blue thread which I think would look stunning on  a white sampler. 

Image taken from Pinterest

And then I discovered the wonderful way that you can use Sashiko to repair and patch clothes and my heart skipped for joy.  This is described as 'functional embroidery'. Isn't that brilliant?! Practical and pretty.   I really want to try this with some jeans that have a rip in the knee.  Actually, I don't think it matters if the jeans have a rip or not, I just want to create some sort of stitchy loveliness on denim!

When I have learnt and practised some more, I'll come back and show you how I've got on with this new-to-me craft. 

TTFN. Galx

Linking this post to 




Creative Mondays






SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Looks lovely - never seen it before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit in love with many of the wonderful pictures I've seen of Sashiko :)

      Delete
  2. I am in love with sasiko too, but never tried it until now. I look forward to see how you are getting on with it. I am sure inspired again to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig